Its been a long time - the TEARJERKERS are MOVING!!

We are a Camping Group of Teardrop & small Travel Trailer Owners.

Its been a long time - the TEARJERKERS are MOVING!!

Postby Zach Engle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:13 am

You've complained ;sad; ;crying; and we've listened! ;laugh;

We all know that this forum software is becoming more and more outdated every day. When this forum was launched in November 2007, it was a huge step forward for the TearJerkers, coming from the old Yahoo Usergroups. Over the years it has served us very well, but as software technology makes leaps and bounds forward, the modern social media giants have overshadowed us with their fancy formats and flashy features. On here, pictures are hard to upload, text is hard to format, the forum layout is confusing to new members, etc.

So, we're really excited to announce... the TearJerkers are moving!! There is no date yet, but we've been working over the the past couple months to get the new software set up, and still have some work to do. Our directors have been invited to help test the new forum, and we really appreciate the feedback they've given.

A few of the major highlights of the new software:

- built in mobile format for our modern mobile devices (no more Tapatalk!)
- much easier photo uploads (more than one at a time!)
- social media registration & login (if you have Facebook, there is super simple registration and one-click login using those credentials)
- new public forums for general camping/building discussions (no registration required to read)
- dedicated members-only Chapter forums, for registered users
- new dedicated blog section for Todd the Admins to post announcements
- eventually an online newsletter (we'll be asking for director and member contributions for this)
- easy chapter forum and thread subscriptions (now with real-time notifications)
- tag users in posts (they'll receive a notification)

And I'm sure I'm missing a bunch!

The downside is that we can't take anything here with us. Unfortunately there's no way to migrate users and posts from this software to the new. Everyone will have to register new, and we'll be archiving everything in this forum to a read-only format. We've weighed the pros and cons, and feel that the new software will better suit our needs as we continue to grow and try to stay somewhat in step with the social media moguls. TearJerkers will always be a standalone website, away from the hustle and bustle and drama of Facebook, Twitter, etc.

So, please bear with us and check back over the next few weeks. Once we have the new forum set up and have *most* of the bugs worked out we'll announce that registration is open! At that time, we'll also be announcing an 'archive date' for this current forum - after that date, you will no longer be able to post on this forum. We understand that many directors have already announced and started discussions for gatherings next year, and those discussions will have to be started fresh on the new software.

When we do transition to the new forum, please be patient if something doesn't work quite right. There's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes and its tough to catch everything. Things will be MUCH different. We just want to prepare you for that. As we get settled in to the new home, I'm sure there are things that will need to be reconfigured. This has been a major undertaking and will value feedback from everyone!

Thanks for being a part of the TearJerkers, and we hope you look forward to this next phase in our journey as much as we do!

;love;

Stay tuned for more..... ;twistedevil;

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zach Engle
Administrator & Director
Administrator & Director

City and State or Country if not in the US: Hanover, PA

Re: Its been a long time - the TEARJERKERS are MOVING!!

Postby george s » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:55 am

Thanks for doing this, and thanks for the update!!!

G
;beer1; Asheville George ;beer1;
george s

City and State or Country if not in the US: asheville nc

Postby Charles M » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks Zach for posting
Charles M. http://www.Teardroppin.com
Selling my extra trailers, Tell a friend to click on my website, then click on "For Sale here" ;awesome1;
¡ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
;smile;
Charles M

City and State or Country if not in the US: Princeton, IL

Postby Steve Morris » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:47 am

Thanks for the update. I don't know what platform you are moving to, but some version of Xenforo seems to be the way many forums are moving these days. phpBB and vBulletin are starting to look ragged in comparison.

I've moderated and administrated on some Xenforo sites if you need someone to beta test the new site down the road.

Have fun during the transition, and I hope that you have some hair at the end. ;)
Steve
-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Retired, and Exploring the USA
5X8 Hiker Trailer / 2016 Toyota 4Runner
Follow us on Facebook - Instagram

Steve Morris

City and State or Country if not in the US: Northern Ohio

Postby Zach Engle » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:58 am

Steve Morris wrote:Thanks for the update. I don't know what platform you are moving to, but some version of Xenforo seems to be the way many forums are moving these days. phpBB and vBulletin are starting to look ragged in comparison.

I've moderated and administrated on some Xenforo sites if you need someone to beta test the new site down the road.

Have fun during the transition, and I hope that you have some hair at the end. ;)
Steve

Thanks for the feedback Steve. I'm active on a few Xenforo forums and like the interface, but there were some limitations for how we needed to configure the bones of the forum. We looked at the latest versions of PHPBB, vBulletin, and Xenforo, and because the last two options require the purchase of software, we weighed the options very carefully. After setting up test sites of each software package and exploring all the options, the latest version of vBulletin suits our specific needs best. Its was a bit more tricky to set up and configure than Xenforo but it will work well. A lot of the older vBulletin sites (a lot of the Subaru forums I'm on use VB) definitely look outdated, but the latest version is pretty slick and they continue to make feature improvements.
ImageImageImage
Zach Engle
Administrator & Director
Administrator & Director

Postby Steve Morris » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:06 am

Zach Engle wrote:A lot of the older vBulletin sites (a lot of the Subaru forums I'm on use VB) definitely look outdated, but the latest version is pretty slick and they continue to make feature improvements.

Thanks for the reply, Zach. I don't know that I've seen any forum with recent vBulletin software. I'm more familiar with the old versions, also mostly from car, and specifically Subaru, sites. I am/was smorris on clubWRX since 2002, subaruoutback.org since 2008 and subaruforester.org in 2015, as well as ArtGecko on NASIOC since 2002. Only on clubWRX since selling the two wagons in 2016. Maybe we've bumped into each other over the years on one or another.

I look forward to giving the new forum a whirl,
Steve
-----

Steve Morris

Postby Zach Engle » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:20 am

Very well may have crossed paths! I was on RS25.com a LONG time ago, and then on NASIOC, ClubWRX, LegacyGT, and SubaruOutback.org. I think all as 'absolutsnwbrdr'. The only one I'm active on these days is AscentForums.com
ImageImageImage
Zach Engle
Administrator & Director
Administrator & Director

Postby Steve Morris » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:55 am

Ah, I forgot about Legacy GT forum. Lots of good Outback tech stuff there. I joined there before purchasing my 2008 Outback 2.5XT Limited (turbo, 5 speed.) I was desperately trying to find an LGT wagon. No joy, so the OBXT came home instead. Ironically, the guy in Portland, OR that bought my OBXT has a race-prepped LGT wagon, and wanted the OBXT for a street equivalent. :) Sorry for the highjacking. ;)
-----

Steve Morris

Postby Brian S » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:34 pm

;applause; ;applause; ;applause;
Brian S
Co-Director
Co-Director

City and State or Country if not in the US: Louisville KY

Postby RobinK » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:53 am

Thank you Zach! You are such a great leader, and hard worker extraordinaire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image 13563 13562
RobinK

City and State or Country if not in the US: Baltimore, MD

Postby Kenny T » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:59 am

Sounds really good Zach, thanks to all of you who work so hard to keep this deal going. I am like chance, it's always exciting!!!!
Kenny J. Tolbert

Image Image

Real living begins on the far side of despair...
Jean-Paul Sartre
Kenny T
Co-Director
Co-Director

City and State or Country if not in the US: Prairie Grove, Arkansas

Return to About us