• Advertisement

What is a Teardrop Trailer?

We are a Camping Group of Teardrop & small Travel Trailer Owners.

What is a Teardrop Trailer?

Postby Todd » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:55 pm

"WHAT IS A TEARDROP TRAILER?”

As early as the 1930’s, a unique camping trailer began taking to the American roads. Teardrop trailers are named for their unique tear shape, and became popular in the early 1940’s. Their compact size, simplicity and affordability made for a winning package to Americans of the era. When Post-war availability increased the resources of Aluminum and Fiberglass to consumers, and with the boom in automobiles (and children), coupled with the new national highway system, vacationing via the family car became an inexpensive way to see the country. These small trailers were easy to tow, slept two comfortably, featured a cooking area under the hatch, and were stylish and fun. Multiple manufacturers contributed to the various styles and shapes such as
KIT, KENSKILL, CUB, MODERNISTIC, MODERNAIRE, MARVEL DWYER, and SCOTTY to name just a few. Many of them were sold as Ready-to-Assemble kits, and homebuilt from plans published in the pages of magazines such as POPULAR SCIENCE and POPULAR MECHANICS. Today, plans are still readily available to the do-it-yourselfer, and many new Manufacturers are re-creating the classic shape with modern conveniences.
"I ain't as good as I once was, But I'm as good once as I ever was"
Red Solo Cup
Toby Kieth
http://youtu.be/BKZqGJONH68
Todd
Founder
Founder

City and State or Country if not in the US: Bay Shore NY

Return to About us